Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Milestones

Today is the first day of school, and for the first time in more years than I care to count, it really has special meaning for me. My daughter, Abby, began kindergarten today, excitedly stepping onto the school bus and heading off on her own into the next chapter of her life. Emotionally, I am all over the map. One minute, I'm excited for her and proud of the wonderful young girl she has become. The next moment, my eyes are brimming with tears, as I am forced to accept that she is no longer my baby. I am also anxious about some of the new things to which she will be exposed.

I've always been a fall girl, finding the promise of the new School Year far more inspiring than the forced promise of New Year's Eve. Fall, with its crisp weather and new notebooks, just seems the right time to turn over a new leaf (as my dear husband would say) and start anew. Today I'm trying to stay focused on that, looking ahead with optimism to all that is to come -- and thinking about the happy prospect of a bit more free time for myself.

I am confident that Abby is going to love school. And that her brother, Jake, and I will adjust to having her around less (although he spent the morning saying, "No Abby school!"). And that the empty feeling in the pit of my stomach will go away soon. I hope.

No comments: