Friday, September 28, 2007

Staccato

I've always liked jazz, but never quite understood how it works. I love the funky off-beats, the sense that you can never know for sure where the music is going, because at any moment, it could make a u-turn. Need a quick pick-me-up? Give me Dexter Gordon's "Go" or Miles Davis' "Chocolate Chip" any day.

I've found myself thinking about this as I've been trying to get into the rhythm of this new school year. I hope that at some point, the routine will become, well, routine, and I will stop having mini-panic attacks throughout the day, fearful that I've forgotten to get somebody somewhere.

I suspect, 'though, that I simply need to let go and accept the staccato nature of my life. It's time to find the beauty and the inspiration in the fits and starts, the ups and downs, the back and forths of each day. No Venetian waltzes for me, and really, isn't that just as well?

No comments: