Thursday, September 6, 2007

Settling in.

It's been a topsy-turvy week. Abby started kindergarten on Tuesday and my husband is out of town until Sunday. Lots of changes to our "normal" routine, and a huge array of emotions to cope with. Tuesday afternoon brought a huge panic attack when Abby failed to get off the bus with all the other kids at our bus stop. I started calling her name somewhat hysterically, and up she popped out of a seat. She was sitting on the opposite side of the bus from the morning, and just didn't recognize the stop. But I won't soon forget the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I thought she was lost. Egads.

Yesterday was better. Jake and I went raspberry picking with friends in the morning, and then I used his nap time to get some planting and other yard work done. I felt more at peace than I had the previous day, and Abby hopped right off the bus at the end of the day.

On Day 3, I find myself settling in. We're all adjusting to the new rhythms, getting used to the combination of new freedoms and new responsibilities. I'm starting to truly enjoy the quiet time in the afternoon when Jake naps and Abby is still at school. Abby is deliriously happy and announces to anyone who will listen, "I love kindergarten!" I'm coming to terms with the fact that she is growing up, but find myself holding Jake even tighter, willing him to remain my "baby" for as long as possible.

I feel as though my husband has missed a huge transition in our family's life, and I worry a bit about how we'll plug him in when he returns. Our days have changed radically -- mornings are much more crunched, as are evenings because bedtime has had to move earlier. He'll be coping with terrible jet lag, too. More settling in to come...

No comments: